Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatball Soup

We joke around here that I can turn anything into a soup. My girls (15 & 17) have been bugging me to make a spaghetti and meatball soup and here it is!



This one not only looks good but it tastes good. After dinner tonight they were fighting over whether or not it belongs in the top three of my soup creations!

Spaghetti and Meatball Soup

3 T vegetable oil
1 lg. onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 - 1 t hot pepper flakes
6 c beef broth
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 c red wine, dry (I used Marsala)
1 lg. green pepper, coarsely chopped
2 c green beans, trimmed and snapped into bite-sized pieces
3-4 carrots, sliced
1 t oregano, dried
1 T basil, dried
frozen meatballs, cooked (no time to make my own today!)
1/4 lb spaghetti, broken into bite-sized pieces
Parmesan cheese, shredded

In Dutch oven, cook onion with red pepper flakes in hot oil until softened. Add crushed garlic and cook until fragrant. Add next 8 ingredients and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are softened.

About 10 minutes before serving, add cooked meatballs and pasta. Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment