Friday, March 12, 2010

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup

Total and complete comfort food! Frugal too. It helps that my family loves this soup!



When I find ground beef on sale, I buy as much as my freezer can take. I bring it home, season it liberally with garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and cook it until all the pink is gone. I freeze it in 1 pound (precooked weight) bags. So many dinners at my fingertips with frozen cooked ground beef!

This favorite comes together in no time!

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup

Adapted from Taste of Home

4 cups water
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
4 small carrots, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
3 cups milk,
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 T butter or margarine
2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)


In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.

Stir in beef

Melt butter in another pan. Add four and stir for a minute or two. Add milk and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add cayenne if desired.
Top with bacon just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment