Saturday, February 20, 2010

Extreme Stew - 100 Cloves of Garlic

Looks pretty benign doesn't it?




This is 100 cloves of garlic stew and it has flavor to the extreme!

We love garlic at our house. I put garlic in just about every thing I make. When I saw this recipe using 100 cloves of garlic over at River City Food and Wine, I was inspired to create this stew.

As I separated and peeled all 100 cloves of garlic, I was fearful of my families response to the stew. I mean they love everything I cook. They are used to unusual and strong flavors but was I taking advantage of their love by putting this on the table?

Was I about to create my first cooking disaster?

Cooking for my family and their appreciation means a lot to me. I've never had a major cooking disaster.

NEVER. (Knocking on wood)

As the wondrous smell of garlic filled my home and permeated everything, I worried and worried.

But to no avail - they loved it in all its garlicky goodness!

100 Cloves of Garlic Stew

2 - 2 1/2 lb. chuck roast
3/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 t seasoned salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t onion powder
1 t black pepper
1/4 c vegetable oil

Trim and chop chuck roast into bit-sized pieces. Place flour and seasonings in plastic bag. Coat chuck roast with flour /seasoning mixture. Heat oil in Dutch oven. Brown meat in small batches and remove to platter.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1 c dry red wine
4 c beef broth
100 cloves of garlic (8-10 bulbs)
2 T tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 T Marjoram leaves, dried
1 T Basil, dried
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Pour the wine into Dutch oven and deglaze the pot - scraping all the little small bits off the bottom and sides. Add beef broth, garlic, seasonings and browned chuck roast back into pot.

Cover and place dutch oven into hot oven and cook 2 - 2 1/2 hours, stirring every half hour to break down the garlic cloves.. When the beef is tender and garlic incorporated remove Dutch oven to the stove top.

8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c butter or margarine

Melt butter in skillet. Cook mushrooms 20-30 minutes until nicely carmelized.

1 large onion,
3-4 red potatoes,
3-4 carrots
Water, as necessary, for desired consistency.

Cube or slice vegetables into bit-sized pieces. Add vegetables and mushrooms to stew and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

1 10 oz. bag frozen peas
1-2 T Worcestershire sauce

Add to stew, simmer a few minutes.

Season with salt* and pepper and serve.

*Note: This stew seemed to need a lot of salt

Would I make this stew again? My family is already begging for it!

Would I make it for company? Probably not - just because of the extreme nature of the garlicky goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment